Auberge du Pêcheur is more recent than the Leie landscape, of course, but in the meantime it has become part of it. We definitely intend to make sure that our guests feel at home here now and for a very long time to come.
FEELING AT HOME AT THE LEIE
Many guests have been welcomed at the Pêcheur since 1924. That year, the De Clercq family opened a café annex pancake bistro by the Leieriverbank. There were also four guest rooms upstairs, rented to passers-by. In no time the establishment became a popular meeting point for artists finding inspiration from the Leie but also for many others. Visitors used a bike, coaches and boats to relax in this area. Four years after its opening, the first private bus line between Ghent and Deurle had its terminus here.
AUTHENTICITY AS THEME
Partially out of sheer necessity, a new chapter began in 1960. As a result of the success of the Auberge du Pêcheur, the original building had become far too small. A new wing was built to address this issue. In 1986, thorough renovation works were carried out, fortunately preserving the authenticity of the entire premises. The number of rooms was raised to sixteen, seminar facilities were installed and a multifunctional party hall was also made available to guests.
The atmosphere of the main building hasn't been touched ever since. However, three villas next to the original building underwent thorough renovation in the proved Auberge style in order to accommodate sixteen extra rooms. The combination of meeting and seminar rooms appears to be a bull's eye, as it guarantees privacy for associations who desire to rent the villas as a whole for their activities.